Friday, July 20, 2007

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club


Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Originally uploaded by kathalijne
Last Monday I had the opportunity of seeing BRMC again. It was about 18 months since last time I saw them play, in Melkweg, Amsterdam, and I rated it as the best concert I'd seen in 2005. Their voices were true, the energy was high, and they played superbly. How three guys make so much noise amazes me? How do they produce that wall of sound?

This time they played at the larger venue, the famous Paradiso, also in Amsterdam. Paul, my drummer, little e and I found seats on the second floor balcony. We were away from the action, by the view was superb. The gig started out fantastically. The first two or three songs sounded almost exactly like they came of the album, as the guitar sounds were spot on. The gig lasted for more than 2 hours, and BRMC played all of my favourite songs. They ventured through the wall of sound numbers, past the folk/country tunes, and got the crowd slamming into each other with some high energy classics. Let's not forget the morbid and depressing songs either. These guys played them all. There may have been a little dip in the amount of energy in the middle, but they ended in true style, taking requests from the audience. Quite a contrast to last time, when they hardly spoke to the audience.

Thanks to kathalijne for this picture (used without permission). Pity you didn't make it.

No comments: