Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Grand Scheme of Things


The Grand Scheme of Things
Originally uploaded by supercooldave
Where do I fit in the grand scheme of things? Presently I'm a researcher in computer science. Most of the time I find this satisfying, though sometimes I find that research is a little too far detached from reality. Sometimes I am completely happy with that idea, whereas at other times `meaning of life' type questions arise.

Now I'm at the point where I need to find another job. I'd like to continue researching, but it is very difficult to find a pure research position which is at a higher level than my present position. I'd like to do something more real, so going and working for a research company is certainly an option, but where? I could get a position at a university and maintain, to some degree, my research tragectory, while also gaining the opportunity to work with students. I've always enjoyed teaching when I've done it, but I have not yet developed a passion for it and worry whether I will, particularly given the level of apathy and unreasonable expectations of present day students.

This photo reflects what's going on in my head as I plan the next step along my career path.

No comments: