Monday, July 16, 2007

Cycling

Yesterday I did my longest ride of the season so far. Though it doesn't sound like much to those who cycle a lot, it tends to sound quite large to those who don't cycle at all. I completed a route, from Utrecht to Narden-vesting via the forest near Laren and back along the Vecht river. In total I (we) cycled about 90km. I feel a little tired now, but I was surprised how good I felt at the end of the ride. Next week we are planning a 100+km ride, perhaps to the Veluwe.

Although yesterday was a good day in the saddle for me, it wasn't so good for the Australians in the tour. O'Grady crashed and was taken away in an ambulance. McEwan, who crashed earlier in the tour and was struggling, failed to cross the finish line within the time limit. And Rogers, who was looking like he could obtain the yellow jersey, crashed on a corner while descending from one of the category 1 climbs. He got back on his bike and pressed on, regaining his strong position. But during the next climb, it became apparent that he was not in good shape. He stuggled, but dropped off the pace. Every following group passed him, and he eventually was overtaken by the first peleton. He was so far off the pace, his race was over. Undoubtably he shed tears of anguish and disappointment as he stepped off his bike and quit the tour.

No comments: